Monday, July 1, 2013

Drum Cat

The weather has been uncomfortably hot and humid in Seoul as of late, so when I found out that the Korean Tourism Organization (KTO) had so generously decided to give out tickets to a performance, I quickly jumped at the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon out in town, from the comforts of an air conditioned building.

The performance my friend and I attended on Saturday June 29, was Drum Cat, which after reading I found out is a show that has been traveling the world for some time now, and has now settled in Seoul. The performance was in the third basement level of Myungbo Art Hall, located just a short walk from exit 8 out of Euljiro3-ga Station (Subway Lines 2 & 3). The facility was clearly labeled and easy to find, and once inside we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff, plus a well stocked and affordable mini cafe for refreshments.

This particular performance consisted of six girls who played an assortment of percussion instruments, and one girl who played the violin; all songs performed were accompanied by prerecorded uptempo music, and a well choreographed light show. If I remember correctly, the show lasted about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, which to me seemed like the perfect length for this type of show. Anything less would have left me unsatisfied, but anything more would have made it drag out too long and become bothersome.The ladies were really energetic, and engaging with the crowd. At one point they came into the seats and pulled two people onto the stage, my friend was one of those people, and she said it definitely made the experience more memorable for her.

The show was entertaining, and I definitely give credit to the girls who seemed to really be having a good time performing together. However, I can't say that this was an original, or creative show. Creativity seemed to be lacking, and although the pamphlet stated that there would be a variety in music from different parts of the world, it all seemed to blend in and sound alike to me. So, would I recommend this show to others? yes, by all means if you have the opportunity to attend for free like I did, it's a nice way to spend an hour or two. But if you have to pay, or make a special trip out of the way, I would say it's okay to miss it.

We were not allowed to take photos or videos during the show (although some rule breakers didn't care and kept producing flashes during the show) so I've only got two photos to share this time. One is of the outside of the location, and the other is of my friend and I after the show when the Drum Cats came for a meet & greet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment